That feeling when you bite into a warm cinnamon roll with icing dripping all over! These rolls are ooey, gooey and rich! Simple yet delicious! Right when the rolls hit the oven, the smell of the cinnamon…. ooohhh…food heaven!! Cinnamon has a lot of benefits including lowering your blood sugar and reducing heart disease risk. Now you have better reasons to make this often! Not that you will need one after you bite into a roll. And just a tip, from baker to baker.. if you are the one who did all the work for the cinnamon rolls, then get the piece right in the center! Go on now,Take it! You deserve it! It happens to be the best one!
All-purpose flour- 2 cups
Whole milk- 1 cup
Sugar- 1/4 cup
Active dry yeast- 1 tbsp
Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
Baking soda- 1/4 tsp
Vegetable oil- 1/4 cup
For the filling:
Melted butter- 1/2 cup
Sugar- 6 tbsp
Generous sprinkling of cinnamon powder (freshly powdered)
For the glaze:
Powdered sugar- 1 cup
Cream cheese (at room temperature)- 1/4 cup
Warm Milk- 2-3 tbsp
A splash of vanilla extract
1. Mix the milk, sugar and vegetable oil in a saucepan. Bring this mixture to a near boil (scalding). At this point you would notice tiny bubbles start to appear around the edge of pan. Turn off the heat and let this mixture cool.
2. When the mixture is still slightly warm to touch (about 39 degree centigrade) add in the yeast. Let this sit for a couple of minutes. (the mixture will turn bubbly and frothy)
3. Add the flour to this yeast mixture and bring it together to form a sticky dough. Let this rise for for an hour in a warm, draft free area (for me the ideal place is inside the microwave (turned off obivously!)).
4. The dough would have now doubled in volume. To this add about 2 tbsp of flour along with the baking soda, baking powder and knead untill just incorporated.
5. Sprinkle the rolling surface with flour and roll out the dough to about a quater of an inch thickness.
6. Drizzle the melted butter over the dough. Sprinkle the sugar and the cinnamon powder onto the buttered surface.
7. Roll this dough tightly and seal the seams.
8. Cut this into 3/4 inch wide rolls and place them in a well buttered oven proof dish. Cover this with plastic wrap and let it rise for 30 minutes.
9. Bake it at 200 degree centigrade for about 15 to 20 mins, untill golden brown.
10. For the cream cheese glaze, mix the powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla extract and milk in a bowl and stir it well.
11. Drizzle this glaze over the warm cinnamon rolls, just out of the oven!